Sports, Music, Politics, TV, Movies-- We Know It All, and Much Better Than You Do!

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

¡Feliz Navidad!


Now that Christmas is here, and well, since all the presents are unwrapped and naps are being had, I suppose it's time to look forward to the new year. In a previous post I listed a few new movies coming out in 2008 that I'm looking forward to. Not too far behind, Stereogum posted a list of scheduled and rumored releases for next year. All I can say is that I'm PSYCHED. Some of my favorite bands are coming out with their first new material in some time, and others who blew me away in '07 are coming back for another round in '08. I recommend checking the list out-- I'd be impressed/concerned/quite angry if you manage to read through the entire list and fail to find something to be excited about. Here's my initial list of things to be excited/appalled about:

1/1
Radiohead - In Rainbows

1/22
Cat Power - Jukebox

1/29
Chris Walla - Field Manual

2/5
Jason Collett - Here's to Being Here
Nada Surf - Lucky

February, TBA
Nas - Nigger

4/8
Colin Meloy - Skulls, Ship, Sheep

May, TBA
Death Cab For Cutie (!!)

June, TBA

Margot and the Nuclear So & So's - Animal

October, TBA
Of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping (!!)

Other Acts Confirmed for New Releases
Franz Ferdinand
My Bloody Valentine
Weezer

Rumored
AC/DC
The Dandy Warhols (!!!!!)

Worth Noting
Sheryl Crow - Detours (2/5) - I'm sure we'll be hearing this all year...
Foxy Brown - Brooklyn's Don Diva (2/5) - Hahahahahahah
Hot Chip - Made in the Dark (2/5)
Lenny Kravitz - It is Time For a Love Revolution (2/5)
The Raveonettes - Lust Lust Lust (2/19)
Seven Mary Three - day&nightdriving (2/19) - HAhahahahahaha... "Cumbersome" anyone?
Janet Jackson - Discipline (2/26)
The B-52s - Funplex (3/11)
Presidents of the United States of America - These Are the Good Times People (3/11) - Really? REALLY? What's more crazy-- them having a new album, or them going on a big tour?
Counting Crows - Saturday Nights, Sunday Mornings (3/25)
50 Cent - Before I Self Destruct (March, TBA) - Musicians tend to push albums out really close together because they have a lot of great material. ...Right? Maybe he should release it on 3/11 and say that if Ashlee Simpson outsells him he'll retire-- I found it lame that he didn't carry out his promise after getting whooped by Kanye, and his attempt to seem more 'hard' (read: more like an ass) by 'admitting' that it was a marketing gimmick the two thought up was asinine. You make it easy to not give a crap about your music and take you seriously, Fiddy.
Moby - Last Night (March, TBA)
Filter - Anthems For the Damned (March, TBA)
Animal Collective - Water Curses EP (4/8) - Another album for me to hear people rave endlessly about and not get at all. Yessssssss!
The Breeders - Mountain Battles (4/8)
The Roots - Rising Down (4/29)
M83 - Saturdays = Youth (April, TBA)
Alanis Morissette - Flavors of Entanglement (April, TBA)
Silver Jews - Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea (April, TBA)
Shearwater - Rook (May, TBA)
Dr. Dre - Detox (June, TBA)
The Fray - TBA (June, TBA)
Ace of Base - TBA (September, TBA)

Coldplay, Beyonce, David Bazan, The Cure, Dan Deacon, Eve, Fergie (REALLY?), Flight of the Conchords, Gnarls Barkley, Green Day, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Mates of State, Matisyahu, Metallica, My Bloody Valentine, My Chemical Romance, My Morning Jacket, Oasis, The Offspring, R.E.M., The Streets, t.a.t.u, WEEZER - All Confirmed for '08, no dates attached.


3/11 is choc-full of crap...
Panic! at the Disco - You Don't Have to Worry... - I already hate it. Can't wait to hear "____" over and over and over again until my head explodes and the world ends.
Ashlee Simpson - Bittersweet World - What a deep album title. Can't wait for this gem that's sure to top everyone's year-end lists... oiey...


Wow, just look at that. 2008 looks to be another great year of releases. Furthermore, what is with all these '90s bands releasing new material? One commenter on Stereogum got it right--

"Filter? The Offspring? Alice in Chains? The Lemonheads? Ace of Base? Counting Crows? Green Day? The Verve? Oasis? Weezer? SEVEN MARY THREE?

Is this fucking 1995?"


I suppose you could toss Dr. Dre in there as well, but those bands up thurr do a good job representing a large part of the '90s music I remember growing up.

Overall, new Dandy Warhols, Death Cab, Nada Surf, Colin Meloy, Weezer, My Bloody Valentine and of Montreal have me the most excited. Can't wait! Happy Holidays everyone!

No comments: