Sports, Music, Politics, TV, Movies-- We Know It All, and Much Better Than You Do!

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Oh, hey!

So it's been a long time since anything filled this space with new material. Blame study abroad, blame a rough fall semester finally ending, blame the innocuous beauty of life.

That said, I have a few things to cover.

First, this:


Wow. All I can say. Is it possible for Justice to make anything less than an awesome video?

In addition, I recently attended a fantastic concert with my father and my friend, his brother and father. Here's a couple clips:

One of my favorites, Little Wing is. Clapton's (Derek & The Dominoes) version is a completely different song from Hendrix', but both are amazing. Really comes out here.


Winwood solo time:

Winwood covering good ol' Ray Charles. Very powerful stuff. Not sure you get the full effect via YouTube, but worth noting nonetheless. Anyone else find irony in their group being called Blind Faith and Winwood rocking out on an organ that has a distinctly 'church-y' sound to it?

NOW, in the next couple months I have some shows I'm really looking forward to. The month of April will be especially busy. I'm going to go in chronological order, here.
First up is one of my favorites, DC's own Exit Clov.

Exit Clov - Violent Berries
Exit Clov - MK Ultra

Very excited to be seeing them here on campus @ UMD College Park this Friday, 3/7.
Buy everything they have here and here.

Next, the first weekend in April is a trip up to Manhattanville College just north of NYC. In addition to checking out my friend's play, I'll be partaking in a Matt Nathanson concert. For anyone who doesn't know, Mr. Nathanson is one of the most entertaining and engaging live acts touring these days. He's in the middle of promoting his most recent release, Some Mad Hope. He's been featured on countless blogs, and even made an appearance on Fox Business Network (who knew there was such a thing?) talking about the state of the music industry. Very intelligent guy, definitely worth listening to. I consider his live album At the Point one of my favorites. Here's a track from Some Mad Hope, followed by an excellent cover. Purchase Some Mad Hope and other gems here.

Matt Nathanson - Still
Matt Nathanson - Fake Plastic Trees (Radiohead Cover)

Next up is Spoon on April 10 in Philly. Been dying to see them for quite some time, and finally the opportunity fits in with my too-busy life! Hooray! Most are familiar with these fellas from Texas, so I'll just post one quick mp3 from their latest, Ga Ga Ga Ga (I think that's enough Ga's). Purchase all their music here.

Spoon - My Little Japanese Cigarette Case

After the Spoonage is the super hyped but super awesome band, Tapes 'n Tapes. The Loon continues to be a favorite of mine, even after about 1.2 million plays. Definitely worth investigating. In addition, they have their much-anticipated full-length coming out on April 8th, titled Walk it Off. Pre-order Walk it Off and purchase the Loon here.

Tapes 'n Tapes - Insistor

Closing out my massively massive month, April concludes with Tokyo Police Club in DC on the 29th. I hold TPC and T'nT in similar regards. Both produced fantastic EPs, both are coming out with full-lengths this year (Tokyo Police Club's Elephant Shell comes out April 22nd), both of which are highly-anticipated. Plus, I get to see both within a week of each-other. Aweshum. For all your Tokyo Police Club music needs, check it here.

Tokyo Police Club - Nature of the Experiment


April is going to be a busy month. On top of all that I have research papers due in addition to working on the senior thesis. Should be a fun time! Oh, senior year...

'Til next time, true-believers!

No comments: